In today’s episode, I speak with author Phillip Campbell about his dramatized historical narratives. You’ll hear about:
- How to get a free Arthur the Clumsy Altar Server coloring page PDF
- Why good children’s literature is for adults too!
- The difference between biography and dramatized narrative
- Why telling the saints’ stories should look different today than eighty years ago
- How ambitious projects begin with a single step
- The two pitfalls of saint biographies
- The background story behind a well-known Catholic history “spine” text
- The inspiration behind a new book about a French saint
- And more!
And check out this book highlighted in today’s interview:
Then…Join Us for More!
Continue the interview with me as we learn from our guest about the process of writing and publishing Catholic children’s books. We cover:
- How Phillip Campbell made the leap to writing full-time from his kitchen table
- Organizing your writing day
- Tackling ambitious projects
- Preventing writing burn-out
- The importance of connecting with other writers
- And more!
Find this exclusive interview and more in the Catholic Kidlit Writers Club on Patreon.
It’s Nearly Advent!
Use my link here to get 10% off Advent materials from Holy Heroes, the publisher of my Liturgical Colors book.
**Affiliate disclaimer: Some links may be affiliate links where I earn a little money from your purchase at no cost to you (with my Holy Heroes links you’ll even get a discount!). Thanks for helping an author out! 🙂
Thanks for the review!
Leave a review or order the book here. THANK YOU!
Want to be interviewed?
If you would like to be interviewed on the Catholic Kidlit podcast, if you have some insight into Catholic children’s books, if you are an author/editor, you can apply by sending me a message through the contact form.
Now on Patreon
And if you want to further support the podcast, you can now do so on Patreon. This is a passion project of mine. So your contribution can help keep the podcast going. And if you join the Catholic Kidlit Writers Club through Patreon, you can find extra interviews, information, and support about the book-creation side of things, the writing and publishing.
I’m piloting moving the Catholic Kidlit Writers Club onto Patreon as a more robust way to share that kidlit creation side with members and to make it more accessible to people by offering it as a monthly amount instead of an annual sum. So we’ll see how all that goes.
But thank you so much in joining me here on this free podcast. And now for the show!
What is your favorite saint biography which manages to avoid the major saint-biography pitfalls?
Let me know in the comments!
About Theresa Kiser
I’m Theresa Kiser, speaker and award-winning children’s book author of the picture books Arthur the Clumsy Altar Server (Our Sunday Visitor, 2022), Seven Gifts of Baptism (Holy Heroes, Coming 2022), and Liturgical Colors (Holy Heroes, 2019), as well as the fantasy adventure series The Manakor Chronicles. On a rare moment when I’m not writing or changing diapers, I might indulge in fruity teas, dark chocolate, and a good book.